Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Defence of KamalPur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Syed Zaid Zaman Hamid [Official] shared a link.
11 Dec 2012
Imagine a battle: nearly 140 infantry soldiers of Pak army led by a Captain fighting and blocking 4000 heavily armed tank and air supported Indian troops for 21 days !! This was the battle of Kamalpur in East Pakistan in 1971. That is how P
ak army fought in most impossible conditions!

Read now and hold your breadth.

On the other hand Captain Ahsan Malik did not lose his nerve when much worse was happening in his area and he was fighting an unwinnable battle against overwhelming odds.

At about 0930 on 4 December, 'after withdrawing his troops from close siege, Kler 'hammered the post with seven sorties of MiG 21s firing rockets and cannon and this was repeated twice later in the day'.[6]Maj. General Gurbux Singh (commander of the north region) himself entered affairs by sending Captain Malik a note by a Mukti Bahini courier:'...whatever you decide to do we have every intention of eliminating Kamalpur post. It is to save you and our side casualties this message is being sent to you...'. He sent another note after a further air strike and this was met, as had been the other messages, by increased firing by Malik's men. But it could not go on, Malik received the order by radio to surrender, which he did at 1900 that day.

'He had,'as Sukhwant Singh goes on to say,'put up a courageous stand....and surrendered after holding a brigade of besiegers for 21 days....Sam Manekshaw sent a personal congratulatory message to Malik commending his defiant stand.' and wrote 'Militarily his performance was excellent'.[4][7]

Maj. Gen. Gurbux Singh decided to meet Malik personally but, while being driven towards Kamalpur by Kler to meet the brave Captain, their jeep went over a mine and he was badly wounded.

When Captain Ahsan Malik's force was taken in, it was found that his company was nearly out of ammunition, barring a few hand grenades and a few bullets each. They were ready to fling themselves on the enemy with daggers and bayonets if it came to that, until they realized that the piece of territory they were defending was already a different country. Nothing remained there to die for.

When he returned to Pakistan, he was decorated with a Sitara-e-Jurrat which is the third highest military award in Pakistan. Later on, Field Marshal Manekshaw acknowledged the bravery of his men in a letter written to his Pakistani counterpart.